English Admin – Learning Explanation Text. What is explanation text? We have discussed in the first article. Now we give a short text sample. This is an example of explanation text about why Why Summer Daylight is Longer than Winter Daylight.
Explanation text is a text which explain the the process of thing is formed or the reasons and the factors why the thing happens. Most text given in a lot of sources for learning English text give the first question for the sample but we are now giving the second sample to you. Why the ting is happen, what factor makes the thing happens are the best example of explanation about why question.
Explanation on Why Summer Daylight is Longer than Winter Daylight
In the summer, the amount of daylight that we get is more than we get in winter. This is not because as much people think we are closer to the sun but because of the tilt of the earth. The earth is actually closer to the sun in winter than it is in summer but you would be forgiven for thinking that this can not be true after looking out of your window on a cold and frosty morning. It seems strange that as the earth get closer to the sun during its orbit then the amount of daylight that we get decrease. But that is the case. It is the tilt of the earth that determine the amount of daylight that we get and so the length of time that for us the sun is above the horizon.
This text sample on explanation is taken from: www.ictteachers.co.uk
Generic Structure Analysis on Explanation Text about Why Question
1. General statement; stating the phenomenon which daylight in summer is longer than in winter.
2. Explanation; it is the tilt of the earth that determines the amount of daylight not the distance of the earth from the sun. Language Feature Analysis on Explanation Text about Why Question
1. Focusing generic participant; daylight.
2. Using chronological connection; then, so, but.
3. Using passive voice; you would be forgiven.
4. Using present tense; the earth is actually closer to the sun.
Explanation text like I we discussed in the previous articles tries to answer and explain one of two questions. They are how a thing is processed and the second is why the thing happens. This sample is for the second question. Happy learning English.