When you are learning English in high school, it mean that you have to study text types
. There are three major kinds of text in English which students should learn. They are interpersonal and transactional conversations, short functional texts, and essays.
After reading the three kinds of text, student will be give a job to answer some questions. Mostly, the questions can be simplified into some categories. They are:
1. Topic of the text. What is topic? topic is a noun phrase which shows what is the text about. Topic is the subject of the text
2. Main idea. What is main idea? Main idea is the most important idea of a paragraph. A main idea is commonly written in the first sentence of a paragraph.
3. Detail information. It is frequently asked the detail information about an event that happens in the text.
4. Certain information. Some specific information inside the text is often asked following the text
5. Implied information. It is not stated clearly in the text but we can get the points through some clues given in the text
6. Reference. It can be anaphoric or cataphoric reference.
8. Word meaning. Understanding text need a lot of vocabularies. Building English vocabulary is the key. without it, it is difficult to answer the question about word meaning, synonym, antonym etc
Those are typical questions should be answered by students who learn English in high schools. Of course, the question sentences will very from one to another.