Writing about vacation is often used to learn English genres, recount text. Besides about vacation, recount text can be about biography of famous person, history of important event, personal experience, or formal working and educational background. Today we are learning English recount text and the topic is vacation.
Two Weeks Spending Vacation in London
Mr. Richard’s family was on vacation. They are Mr. and Mrs. Richard with two sons. They went to London.
They saw their travel agent and booked their tickets. They went to the British Embassy to get visas to enter Britain. They had booked fourteen days tour. This includes travel and accommodation. They also included tours around London. They boarded a large Boeing flight. The flight was nearly fourteen hours. On the plane the cabin crews were very friendly. They gave them news paper and magazine to read. They gave them food and drink. There was a film for their entertainment. They had a very pleasant flight. They slept part of the way. On arrival at Heathrow Airport, they had to go to Customs and Immigration. The officers were pleasant. They checked the document carefully but their manners were very polite. Mr. Richard and his family collected their bags and went to London Welcome Desk. They arranged the transfer to a hotel. The hotel was a well-known four-star hotel. The room had perfect view of the park. The room had its own bathroom and toilet. Instead of keys for the room, they inserted a key-card to open the door. On the third floor, there was a restaurant serving Asian and European food. They had variety of food. The two week in London went by fast. At the end of the 14-day, they were quite tired but they felt very happy.
Note on the Generic Structure of Recount Text
It must be noticed that after reading any English text genres, student of high school should recognize the generic structure of the text which has been read. Identifying the generic structure will help determine the whole meaning of the the text. Now Let’s see the following structure analysis!
1. Orientation: The way a writer introduces the text’s participant, place and time setting. From the text above, it is clearly seen from the sentence quoted below Mr. Richard’s family was on vacation. They are Mr. and Mrs. Richard with two sons. They went to London.
2. Series of events: After introducing the participants, a writer need to states some event which the participants experiences during the time state and the place mentioned in the orientation. From the text above, some events are listed below: 1. They went to the British Embassy to get visas to enter Britain.
2. They boarded a large Boeing flight.
3. they had to go to Customs and Immigration.
4. They had variety of food….. in the hotel
3. Reorientation: What final conclusion is stated by the writer or the participants relating to the events which they had experienced. From the text above, it is clearly stated in the end of the paragraph At the end of the 14-day, they were quite tired but they felt very happy.
That’s all an example of recount text about vacation with generic structure. Remember, the key to understand a recount text comprehensively is base on how you understand well English grammar structure, especially past tenses.