Example of Spoof Text: Penguin in the Park
English Admin learning English text Online. Today we have an example of spoof text. It is a funny amusing story. Do you know why people consider such story is amusing? Well, answering that question is actually showing that you have understood what a spoof text is.
As we have stated in the definition of spoof text that the amusement of spoof story is located in the element of twist. If you do not know what twist in spoof text is, you can read my post about kinds of twist. Now we see an example of spoof text. This story is very short but it has all the elements of a shocking story. Here we go!
Penguin in the Park
Once a man was walking in a park when he across a penguin. He took it to a policeman and said; “What should I do?” The policeman replied; “Take it to the zoo!”.
The next day, the policeman saw the man in the same park. The man was still carrying the penguin. The policeman was rather surprised and walked up to the man and asked; “Why are you still carrying the penguin? Didn’t you take it to the zoo?”
The man replied; “I certainly did. And it was a great idea because the penguin really enjoyed it. So, today I am taking it to the movie”.
Generic Structure Analysis on Example of Spoof Text: Penguin in the Park
1. Orientation;introducing participants: “He” and Penguin. They were in the park
2. Event1; The man tended to take the penguin to the park
3. Event; The following day, the man were still carrying the penguin
4. Twist; Even, finally the man would take the penguin to the movies
Language Feature Analysis on Example of Spoof Text: Penguin in the Park
1. Focusing on certain certain participants; He, penguin, policeman
2. Using action verb; carry, walk up
3. Using adverb of time and place; once, in the park
4. Told in chronological order; chronological order by days, the next day
That is the amusement of spoof text. By the way can you catch where the point which make that story funny? This is considered as funny story because it has an unpredictable ending. How the participant answering police’s suggestion is making readers amused. Happy learning English Online!