Example of Narrative Text with Generic Structure – The Smartest Parrot
Now we are learning very interesting story. This story is about a beautiful parrot. No wonder, many people like this bird. The bird is colorful and, this is the amazing thing, the bird is smart. It can imitate the man speaking. Straightly let’s read the following bird story.
The smartest Parrot
Once upon time, a man had a wonderful parrot. There was no other parrot like it. The parrot could say every word, except one word. The parrot would not say the name of the place where it was born. The name of the place was Catano.
The man felt excited having the smartest parrot but he could not understand why the parrot would not say Catano. The man tried to teach the bird to say Catano however the bird kept not saying the word.
At the first, the man was very nice to the bird but then he got very angry. “You stupid bird!” pointed the man to the parrot. “Why can’t you say the word? Say Catano! Or I will kill you” the man said angrily. Although he tried hard to teach, the parrot would not say it. Then the man got so angry and shouted to the bird over and over; “Say Catano or I’ll kill you”. The bird kept not to say the word of Catano.
The next day, the man came back to the chicken house. He opened the door and was very surprised. He could not believe what he saw at the chicken house. There were three death chickens on the floor. At the moment, the parrot was standing proudly and screaming at the last old chicken; “Say Catano or I’ll kill you”.
Notes on Generic Structure of Narrative Text – The Smartest Parrot
It is important to know that the social function of a narrative text is informing and entertaining. A narrative text tells a story with amusing way. It provides an esthetic literary experience to its readers. A narrative text is written based on life experience. In literary term, experience is what man does, feels, hears, read, even what the man dreams.
Each narrative text is organized to focus to the characters. It is build by using descriptive language and dialogues. There are some genres of literary works which fit to be classified as narrative texts. Some of them are:
- Folktales, it includes fables, legend, myth, or realistic tales
- Mysteries, fantasy, science or realistic fiction
Commonly, a narrative text is organized by the story of grammar. It will be beginning, middle and end of the story. To build this story grammar, a narrative text needs a plot. The plot will determine the quality of the story. a plot is a series of episodes which holds the reader’ attention. Inside the story plot, there is a conflict.
Conflicts are the main important element of the plot. The availability of conflicts among the characters will drive the story progress. In this conflicts, readers will be shown how the characters face the problem and how they have ability to handle that problem
Generic Structure Analysis
Each narrative text will be structured by organization of parragraph which fit to orientation, complication, and resolution. It is shown below!
1. Orientation: It sets the scene and introduces the participants or characters. In that parrot story, the first paragraph is the orientation where reader finds information time and place setting. Readers also gets the information on the participant as the background of the story.
A man and his parrot took place once time.
2. Complication: It explores the conflict among the participants in the story. It shows the crisis, rising crisis and climax of the story. In the parrot story, paragraph 2, 3, 4 are describing the complication. Readers find that the man faces the problem. The big problem for the man is why the parrot can not say Catano. To soleve it, the man attempted to teach the bird. How hard he tried to teach the bird is the excitement element of the complication.
he had been trying so many times to make the bird say Catano, the man really got very angry. He could not bear it. He picked the parrot and threw it into the chicken house.
3. Resolution: It shows the situation which the problems have been resolved. It must be noticed that “resolved” means accomplished whether success or failure. In the last paragraph, readers see the problem is finished. The parrot could talk the word which the man wanted. The parrot spoke the word in higher degree than the man taught.
the parrot was standing proudly and screaming at the last old chicken; “Say Catano or …”.
That is the smartest parrot. This story can be labelled as narrative text as it consists of the three important elements of narrative generic structure. However a functional text is not written from just single genre. It is often organized and mixed with other genres’ element, such as suspense, to give the story text some better effects. So some time it is confusing whether the story is narrative or spoof. Happy learning English story!