Example of Discussion Text on Nuclear Power
This is another example of discussion text. The topic is about the pros and cons using nuclear energy. The text expose both advantages and disadvantages. This balanced discourse make deep and careful thought on certain issue. In the end the discussion text will be covered with certain recommendation.
A problematic issue is the key to write an example of discussion text. Balancing view, both positive and negative, advantages and disadvantages, pros and cons, good and bad for certain issue discussed. It will make readers think carefully before deciding the best one.
The Advantage and Disadvantage of Nuclear Power
Nuclear power is generated by using uranium which is a metal mined in various part of the world. The first large scale of nuclear power station was opened at Calder Hall in Cumbria, England in 1956.
Some military ships and submarines have nuclear power plant for engine. Nuclear power produces around 11% of the world’s energy needed, and produces huge amounts of energy. It cause no pollution as we would get when burning fossil fuels. The advantages of nuclear plant are as follow:
- It costs about the same coal, so it is not expansive to make.
- It does not produce smoke or carbon dioxide, so it does not contribute to the greenhouse effect.
- It produces huge amounts of energy from small amount of uranium.
- It produces small amount of waste.
- It is reliable.
On the other hand, nuclear power is very, very dangerous. It must be sealed up and buried for many years to allow the radioactivity to die away. Furthermore, although it is reliable, a lot of money has to be spent on safety because if it does go wrong, a nuclear accident can be a major accident.
People are increasingly concerned about this matter. In the 1990’s nuclear power was the fastest growing source of power in many parts of the world.
Note on the Generic Structure of Discussion Text
Discussion is a process to find the meet point between two different ideas. It is important to to get the understanding between the two differences. In many social activities, discussion is the effective way to calm down any friction and difference in thought, perception and recommendation.
This example of discussion text present the two poles, between the advantage and disadvantage of using nuclear plant to fulfill the energy needed. It is a case which need to be talked and discussed from two points. They are represented in the generic structure which is used:
1. Stating the Issue: In the first paragraph, it is stated that using nuclear power can be the choice in fulfilling the needed energy.
Nuclear power produces around 11% of the world’s energy needed
2. Supporting Point: In the second paragraph, it is presented the advantages of nuclear power plant to be used as the source of the world’s energy needed
produces huge amounts of energy. It cause no pollution
3. Contrastive Point: The third paragraph shows the balance. It gives the contradictory idea in using nuclear power plant as the resource of energy.
nuclear power is very, very dangerous.
4. Recommendation: This text is ended with a similar recommendation on how people should concern in the matter of nuclear energy.
People are increasingly concerned
That is example of discussion text, a pros and cons text, an essay consisting of both advantages and disadvantages side of certain issue. In this case, using nuclear, is advantageous and also disadvantageous.
Related search post:
- the advantages and the disadvantages of nuclear energy discussion text what is the content